Desi Local Mumbai Aunties

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chitrangda Singh to share screen with Arjun Rampal

Bookmark and Share

Chitrangda Singh's role in Sudhir Mishra's Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi was appreciated but few saw the actress breaking that mould.

It has taken eight years for her to make the switch to her first masala movie Desi Boyz, now up for release. Here, she talks about the transition.

You began your career with Hazaaron Khwaishein...
It happened purely by chance. I missed a flight to Korea and got a call from a guy who had seen my music video and wanted me to audition for the role in HKA. I had to audition four times before I finally got the role. It was only after I saw the film at a trial that I felt I had a career. I hugged and thanked my director Sudhir Mishra.

What made you switch to masala cinema?
It was a conscious decision. I was stuck in a rut doing the same intense performances in every 'arthouse' film. When Rohit Dhawan called me up for Desi Boyz, I was thrilled! Doing commercial cinema is fun. I wanted to do something different and glamourous and it was the perfect time to have got the role. Parallel cinema is more challenging and emotionally draining. An actor's every movement or word is laden with meaning and there are heavy layers to every character. They are never one-dimensional like masala cinema is.

What was the transition like?
It's not easy doing comedy in commercial cinema. One can't overdo it. You have to keep it real and believable or else it looks as if you are hamming. So commercial cinema is also tough in its own way. My family is very excited about my new film and feel very proud. They say I look better than the other actress in the film but I think they're biased.

About your first ever item number in Joker...
That was sudden. I got a call from Farah Khan whom I happened to meet at a parlour. I loved shooting for it so much that after five days I told director Shirish Kunder and Farah that I don't want to pack up but carry on shooting. It's a lovely mix of lavani and other dances and a full-on passionate and sensuous number. I love dancing and am passionate about it.

What films come next?
There's I Me Aur Mein with John again and Mehrunissa with Arjun Rampal.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

blogger templates | Desi Local Mumbai Aunties